Search This Blog

Friday, January 11, 2008

Oscar Pistorius Fights for his Rights

According to AP reports, Oscar Pistorius is going to contest the IAAF ruling that he cannot compete in the Olympics. Pistorius will bring his case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland. I admire Pistorius--not for contesting the IAAF conclusions that ban him from competing but for the larger framework in which he has based his argument. AP reports quote Pistorius: "I feel it is my responsibility, on behalf of myself and all other disabled athletes to stand firmly and not allow one organization to inhibit our ability to compete using the very tools without which we simply cannot walk let alone run".

I am interested to see how the media reacts to Pistorius stance. Sadly, I am not hopeful a nuanced view will prevail. Judging by reports and columns already published in the New York Times Pistorius' cause will be demeaning. The IAAF is already attacking Pistorius claiming they have no idea what his motivation is. Like any other athlete with or without legs, Pistorius dreams of competing in the Olympics. As to the IAAF claims that Pistorius prothesis give him an unfair advantage, I suggest they do a little bit of reading about the needless social obstacles disabled people are forced to overcome.

No comments: